Are you a PHP developer? then surely some questions will haunt your brain. Which is the best PHP framework? What is Laravel framework? What are the features of CodeIgniter vs Laravel? How to compare features of Laravel vs CodeIgniter? If yes, then you are at a correct place.
In this article, I will compare the features of CodeIgniter vs Laravel Framework. I will also highlight which is the most trending best PHP framework on Google? I will share my personal experience as a PHP developer. After reading this article you will be able to make your decision which PHP framework to choose.
Let us start with the introduction of both PHP framework.
There are a lot of PHP framework available in the market but choosing the right one is challenging task for any developer. In this article, I will compare two best PHP frameworks Laravel vs CodeIgniter so that you can decide which framework you can choose for your web application development.
CodeIgniter is the powerful and simplest PHP framework available in the market. It was created by EllisLab and later taken over by British Columbia Institute of Technology. CodeIgniter web framework is a small footprint with just 2 MB in size including documentation. It’s MVC architecture minimizes the developer overhead to keep php code, design, and database code separated from each other.
- Easy to Learn.
- It is the Simple PHP framework.
- The only framework with a small footprint.
- CodeIgniter 3 is 2 MB in size including documentation.
- Less configuration, Download the setup and start coding.
- Model View Controller architecture makes it easy to maintain code.
- As it is lightweight it outperforms most of its competitors.
- Limited libraries.
- Small Community.
- Lacking built-in features such as Authentication and Authorization.
Laravel is an open source best PHP framework developed by Taylor Otwell for an agile web development uses MVC architecture. Its beta version release was first made available in June 2011, followed by the Laravel 1 release in the same month. It is packed with a lot of features and libraries that simplify the efforts required to code. It is a perfect time saver for web developers and that is the reason it has gained a lot of popularity since last few years.
In 2015 SitePoint held the survey for the best PHP framework, and it was found that Laravel is the most popular framework amongst web developers.
- Laravel Framework is based upon the Modular Packaging System.
- It is based upon the MVC architecture.
- Laravel is well documented.
- Database operations are very easy using Eloquent ORM.
- With Artisan CLI, you can perform a lot of operations with a single command.
- Routing is easy and Laravel by default creates RESTful API.
- User Authentication and Password Reset will save your coding efforts a lot.
- Unit testing of application is also easy to do.
- Laravel socialite will provide you ready code to authenticate users through social media platforms.
- There are a lot of features and packages Laravel provide to save the coding efforts.
- Beginners will find it little difficult to learn Laravel.
- Updating Laravel to the latest version is also difficult.
CodeIgniter vs Laravel
Above is the Google Trends showed from 1st Jan 2010 to Dec 2017. Laravel is gaining popularity while CodeIgniter is losing its popularity. If it’s CodeIgniter vs Laravel, then surely Laravel is winning the race here.
Comparison Chart – Laravel vs CodeIgniter
|Beginners Learning||Little Difficult||Easy|
|Project Level||Small, Medium and Enterprise||Small and Medium|
|RESTful Routing||External library|
|Blade Template Engine|
|Social Media Authentication|
Conclusion – Best PHP Framework
Finally, after comparing the features of Laravel vs CodeIgniter. I conclude that Laravel Framework is the best PHP framework as compared to CodeIgniter. Laravel simplifies the coding efforts required to build an application.
If you are a beginner and finding it difficult to start with Laravel, I would suggest you start with CodeIgniter first. Once you are comfortable with CodeIgniter you can easily start with Laravel.
Let me know your views on this comparison. Also, let me know your experience with Laravel and Codeigniter Frameworks. You can comment your queries below and I will try to answer it as soon as possible.
If you like this article don’t forget to share this with your friends & colleagues. If you find my articles are helpful then do subscribe to our newsletters.
Thank you for reading.